Thursday, July 23, 2009

Cockroach Capers

Disclaimer: The following post is admittedly utterly disgusting. Please use discretion when reading and viewing the following text/pictures. Now, remember, this blog is intended to share our adventures and experiences here in Georgia. And let me tell you, Georgia is LOADED with cockroaches. The locals have many names for them: waterbugs, palmetto bugs, wood roaches, etc. To we Hoosiers, they are just plain cockroaches, and as such, should be eliminated. Last week after one of Susie's middle of the night bathroom breaks, I walked into the kitchen to find Kitty eyeing a giant cockroach. It was on its back with all six legs and two antennae writhing around. Yes. In. The. Kitchen. Needless to say, the next days activities resulted in the purchase of eight cockroach motels. Since that night, I've seen no cockroaches inside, but the usual nighttime crowd was still congregating out on our balcony, making the enjoyment of a glass of wine difficult. I have perhaps breached some unwritten cockroach law in doing so, but I decided to relocate one of my eight cockroach motels to the balcony. I decorated it to look inviting...

And as you can see below... there were no vacancies.

In my excitement to photograph the multitude of visitors to my inviting motel, I forgot that Bryan had said, "I set the alarm, so don't open the back door." I gleefully swung open the balcony door, which resulted in ear-piercing sirens and the alarm company calling to see if I needed emergency assistance. Oh, and also a very tired-looking fiance and basset hound stumbling down the hall to find out the reason for the racket. Oops.

-Jenny

No comments: